Sunday, June 30, 2013

Glenwood Springs: Hanging Lakes

Today, since it was Sunday, we found a local ward to attend before embarking on today's activity: hiking Hanging Lakes. This was a hike that Jeff did years ago and loved so we decided to make it our Sunday activity. I have to admit that the first part of the hike kicked my booty but once my body adjusted to the incline and the altitude it was an enjoyable hike. The weather had been gorgeous all weekend and the scenery was breathtaking (which means more pictures...but I'll try to tone it down). The kids cruised up the mountain (but Jeff and I weren't too far behind) and beat us down the mountain by 20 minutes according to their calculations. I love that they're old enough to venture out and close enough to make sure that they watch out for each other. I really do have some amazing kids. Sure, long car rides mean occasional squabbles, but these kids love each other and are fiercely loyal to their family.












 
The hike was well worth it! Check out this breathtaking view!! 






Just a little further up the trail is Spouting Rock...obviously named for the fact that the water is literally spouting out of the rock face. 


Laurin took this great picture of the boys! I love it!
After we finished our hike, we took a drive to a neighboring town, Basalt. Jeff's older brother, Greg, died of cancer while living there and is buried in a small cemetery in that town. I was glad we were able to go there. I've heard so many stories about Greg and Jeff growing up together. I don't think the boys had ever been...or if they had, they didn't remember it very well. I am so grateful to know that one day I will be able to meet Greg. I am grateful that all the relationships we have here can exist beyond the grave if we live as Christ has asked us to live. I'm grateful that I am sealed to my husband for eternity!


Before driving back to the hotel, we drove up to Aspen and Jeff showed the kids the mountain range, Maroon Bells, that he'd hiked with his brothers years ago. We also stopped to see where Greg had been living with his wife and two young boys when he passed away. It was the perfect Sunday.
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment