Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Springville Museum of Art

I don't know if Jeff realized when he married me that I would drag him to cultural events and museums, but he's fast figuring that out. Luckily, he doesn't complain and actually seems to enjoy them. Since Jeff was going to be at the ward's youth conference this weekend, we had our date "night" (which was actually just a couple hours in the afternoon) on Wednesday. This week I suggested that we visit the Springville Museum of Art. I had driven by the museum a couple times and had always been curious about it (after all Springville is known as "Art City"). I love visiting art museums. I don't always love all the art, but I'm fascinated with the creativity and talent of others. The Springville museum did not disappoint. In fact, I was just as in awe of the building itself as I was of the art contained therein. The building had high ceilings and lots of windows for natural light (which I'm a huge fan of). There was an atrium in the center of the museum with a beautiful sculpture garden outside. The museum was currently displaying art from Walter Rane as well as local pieces from artists all over Utah. I loved wandering through the different displays, especially admiring the garden outside. The museum isn't the largest or the fanciest I've ever been to but I really enjoyed the afternoon...and I enjoyed sharing it with my best friend in the whole world, Jeff.
This carving from a black walnut tree was my favorite piece. It is entitled "Uplift" and has two hands grasping each other as one lifts the other. 



I think this was Jeff's favorite piece. It's a water fountain. He was fascinated with how they got the water to pump through the various wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment