Friday, June 28, 2013

Glenwood Springs: White Water Rafting

Today we started our first family trip! Because of the kids' schedules this summer (and budget considerations), we decided to take a simple, long weekend trip to Glenwood Springs, CO. I have been to southern Colorado and have enjoyed trips with my family there so I tried to recreate some of what I had done with my family of origin with my new little family as I planned the trip. Since Jeff was on a scout outing, I was left to prepare, pack up, then pick up Jeff at an old rundown gas station on the I-70 turnoff to Moab (where he'd been at with the scouts). I teased him that he better be there waiting with his thumb out or we wouldn't be stopping. Lucky for him I was just joking because he wasn't there when we arrived. That was ok because it gave the kids a moment to get out and stretch their legs...as well as take some pictures with some fun cars that were painted like Lightning McQueen and the Mystery Machine from Scooby-Doo.

Jeff got there about 10 minutes after we did then we loaded back up and finished our drive into Glenwood Springs. Glenwood Springs is not a very large town, but it is incredibly picturesque. I think because I grew up in a dessert, I appreciate the pine trees and flowing rivers even more. Once we arrived, we had a couple hours to kill before our first day's adventure: white water rafting. We utilized our free time to browse the cute shops in the downtown area (much to the boys' dismay) then get some lunch at this small town diner (I love supporting local establishments)...and of course, ice cream!


My crazy kids! 


I think Laurin's expression says it all! My funny little family! 
The ice cream parlor has a western theme to it so saddles were used as stools. 
Jeff and I conquered this delicious cookie sandwich.
After filling our bellies to replenish our energy, we set off to tackle the raging waters of the Colorado River. I have gone river rafting a few times before this and have loved every trip. This trip was no different. It was fun watching the kids (who had never been) enjoy the experience as well. The girls sat in the front and got completely soaked, but as soon as they could, the boys (including Jeff...although I did jump in towards the end of the rafting trip) jumped in the cold water to drench themselves as well (then came out of the water shivering!).We all had a blast!!



I love Jeff's expression in this shot. That's how he was the whole time! Just excited for each new rapid and wanting the next one to be bigger. 

Look at Danny's smile. That says it all! 






Once we were thoroughly soaked, cold, and exhausted, we headed to our hotel to check in, shower, and sleep!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment