Monday, October 21, 2013

Freedom Trail

Today Jeff and I woke up and literally spent the rest of the day walking around Boston! We headed to Boston Harbor to start our day then continued on to the Freedom Trail. While at Boston Harbor, Jeff and I took are previously obtained tea bags (thank you to our hotel!) and threw them into the harbor. I had to feel like I was participating in history. I love the Revolutionary War time. I love learning about the brave men (and women) who stood up for what they knew was right, even though that meant treason. I think that's why today was one of my favorite days of the trip. I loved seeing the places where history took place and imagining what it would have been like to be a colonist during that time. Would I have been one of the strong ones to stand up for Freedom or would I have tried to stay loyal to the crown? I would like to think I would be the first. In any case, we wandered through the streets of Boston to find the small nuggets of history hidden among the progress of modern time. We saw Paul Revere's house and the Old North Church that he rode to in an effort to warn the revolutionary troops. We meandered through the cemeteries (which I have to admit are a little creepy!) and saw the Old State House where the Declaration was read for the first time to the people of Boston. It was a day in history and I enjoyed every minute of it. We finished up around 3:00 p.m. and had a late lunch in little Italy before we made our way back to the hotel to call it a day!
Ready to throw my tea bag into the Boston Harbor! 
Replica of the ship that was carrying tea to the "colonies". 
Samuel Adams 
Paul Revere 
John Hancock 
Old South Meeting house where people gathered prior to the Boston Tea Party. 

Old State House 



Statue of Paul Revere with the Old North Church in the background. 




No comments:

Post a Comment