Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve

Finally! Secretly I think Christmas Eve is more exciting than Christmas day. I love our Christmas Eve traditions...and, now that I'm older, the gift-receiving part of Christmas isn't as enticing as the memories that are made before, during and after. Today started off with the boys taking a quick trip to Provo for some last minute gift buying. Once they returned, we met up with Jeff's parents and Katie for lunch at Hickory Kist before seeing Frozen. This is seriously a cute movie! Danny was the only one in our little family that had yet to see it, but the other kids were more than willing to go again. For some, this was the 3rd time seeing the movie. Jeff and I had seen it about a week ago on a date. I think I love this movie because I feel it pretty well depicts the two personalities of our daughters! Elsa is definitely Laurin and Ana is definitely Amber!

After the movie, we went back to Jeff's parents' house where we spent the afternoon playing games, finishing a puzzle, and just enjoying family. 
 
Once dusk hit, we headed home to assemble and light 144 luminaries. This is a tradition that I grew up with. Every Christmas Eve, the whole neighborhood would light luminaries that would line the streets for at least a 1/2 mile. The luminaries are a tradition brought by the Spaniards to some Central American countries. Basically, the old clergy leaders would light these bags with candles and line the entrance to the churches. It is said that this was done to light the way of the Christ child and to invite Him into their churches. I have always loved that imagery and want so much to always have the spirit of Christ in our home. I have been excited that Jeff and the kids (and even Jeff's parents lined their house) have embraced the tradition.












Once the luminaries were lit (which I was grateful it was a little warmer this year than last!), we went inside for our traditional Bethlehem dinner (consisting of foods found in the Bible) and devotional. We asked Penny to prepare a thought for the devotional. It is amazing how the Lord knows what focus we need to hear and how He can inspire multiple people with the same idea because after Penny was finished sharing a story, Jeff shared a hymn, and I added a little message that all coincided with our focus on service...especially in the home. Again, I can't begin to express my gratitude for what the gospel has given me and my little family. There is so much peace because of the things we know to be true. Christ lives. He loves us. He has provided a way for us to return to Him...as an eternal family unit. I don't know what other truths out there can provide more peace than that.




Finally, it was time to get the kids off to bed, but not before they were allowed to open one gift...their Christmas jammies!


The boys created a fort in Dallin's room where they retreated after getting into their jammies. The girls headed downstairs and Jeff and I were left to help Santa fill the kids' stockings before going to bed. It has been a great day...a great couple weeks...a great month...as we have planned and prepared for the memories we now get to share! I still think the greatest Christmas gift I have is being the wife of an incredibly kind and loving husband and the mother to four of the most genuine and strong kids I know!



No comments:

Post a Comment